Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sweet and Sour SweeTart Stuffed Cabbage

by Erica Cooksey

2 pounds ground chuck
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup long-grain rice, parboiled for 3 minutes
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 medium onions, diced, divided
1 extra-large head green cabbage (4 to 5 pounds)
1 cup SweeTarts, ground in a spice grinder (I left out the grape ones)
Dark brown sugar
Fresh lemons
1 box (~28oz) Pomi strained tomatoes
Canola oil

Saute one of the onions in a bit of oil until translucent but not brown and let cool. Combine with ingredients 1 through 5. Set aside.

Dip the whole head of cabbage in a big pot of boiling water until the outer leaves are soft (see recap video for my technique). Pull it out, peel off the outer leaves, and repeat this process until you get to the inner leaves that are too small and crinkly to stuff. Shred the inner leaves, and remove the center rib from the outer leaves.

Sprinkle some of the shredded cabbage in the bottom of a casserole dish. Roll up a little oval of meat in each large cabbage leaf, and place atop the shredded cabbage.

Uh I hadn't slept much so I forget how I did the sauce exactly but just saute the remaining onion and dump the strained tomatoes on top, bring the whole thing to a boil, turn down the heat, and add a bunch of salt, brown sugar, lemon juice, and about 2 tablespoons of SweeTart powder until it the sauce has a good balance of sweet and sour. I think I used about 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 2 lemons, but I'm not sure. You'll be fine, I promise.

Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls and bake covered at 375 degrees for about an hour or until the master chef timer goes off. Serve over kosher pareve mashed potatoes.

No comments: